Relevance subordinate to content and response...

Pages

stat

Friday, December 15, 2023

POETRY 499.1001--Thought Provoking Stuff--U. OF NEVADA, SPRING 2024


..

..

Thought Provoking Stuff


I just can't recite anything off the cuff,

Most of what I write isn't thought provoking stuff.


If there's  one thing I cannot stress enough

Is my lack of talent to write thought provoking stuff.

There's just a mental hangup for writing something deep,

Every time I try I want to fall to sleep.


Don't look into this poetry for some hidden theme,

Or a revelation from a recent dream.

Leave it those who are divinely inspired,

Thought provoking stuff just makes me tired.


Becoming a great poet is something I would consider,

If I didn't have such a hangup for being a quitter.

Or being called a marshmallow or creampuff

For writing thought provoking stuff.


Take it from a man who's been around the block,

I'm not big on writing or even casual talk.

So please don't upset me or make me distraught,

By making me write stuff that provokes thought.


Rene Descartes once said; "I think therefore I am,"

But I don't know what he meant by that dithyramb.

Maybe it makes sense to Socrates,

As far as I'm concerned it's written in Chinese.


If I were to have a class in poetry,
There is something I would guarantee,

I'd be forced to drop out of society

Because it doesn't mean anything to me.


So if you're looking for some clever  rhyme,

Don't look to me for I just don't have the time.

I'm not here to fill the world full of fluff,

By filling up the universe with thought provoking stuff.



..

No comments:

Post a Comment